The Supernova Mini 80W LED light is a very flexible and general-purpose video light. It can be used both on camera and off camera and various combinations thereof. The light emits a total of about 8000 lumens. The light or two lights can be mounted on standard 1″ ball head arms (e.g. TLC arms) via a suitable adapter (see below) resulting in a complete self-contained camera rig. Alternatively, the light(s) can be held by other dive team members. This produces more variety and depth in the footage and enhances contrast due to less backscatter from the immediate vicinity of the camera.
An important benefit of LED technology is that it is less fragile than lights with HID technology. Also the restart time is instantaneous.
The light beam is wide and very even without hotspots. The beam has a soft edge that fades away gracefully. This is very useful when using multiple lights either held on top of the camera or held manually by dive team members.
The light or several of them can be used to illuminate normal and large cave halls, underwater wrecks, underwater landscapes and similar scenery when ambient light is not sufficient for shooting purposes. As an example, please see attached picture Cerella_NLS_4x80WOrda3.jpg, a framegrab from HD video footage. This shows an underwater cave without any natural light. The big hall was lit by four(4) 80W Supernova Mini lights.
Compared to sunlight or HMI lights, the LED light has a slight greenish cast in water, but, this can be offset in advance by whitebalancing the camera or in post process if necessary.
The product price is for a single LED light head with e/o cord. However, if you purchase the light head from Cerella Oy simultaneously together with a compatible NLS battery canister, you get the following:
- 80W LED light head
- Cord with E/O connectors. You have the option to specify cord length. Otherwise the light is supplied with standard-length cords.
- Battery canister (select compatible product)
- Lithium Ion battery charger.
- Special offer from Cerella Oy: bolt snap OR T17853 (General purpose TLC light holder with standard 1″ ball head and a clamp to attach to TLC arms).
The Supernova Mini 80W LED light head can be used with the following NLS Lithium Ion battery canisters:
- Small 65Wh canister: burntime = 45 minutes, buoyancy = -300 grams, can be taken on commercial flights
- Medium 97Wh canister: burntime = one hour, buoyancy = 0 grams (about), can be taken on commercial flights
- Medium 202Wh canister: burntime = 2.5 hours, buoyancy = -700 grams, cannot be taken on commercial flights
- Large 321Wh canister with dual e/o connection: burntime = 2-4 hours, buoyancy = -1 kg, cannot be taken on commercial flights
It is possible to use the light continuously on for the full burn time due to protection circuits and water cooling technology.
The light is manufactured by Northern Light Scuba Ltd, Finland.