The Aquatica A5D Mk II is supplied with Aquatica’s Galileo type eye piece. This high quality and coated optical finder gives a bright and full view of the view finder. For those seeking the ultimate in viewing for still image, the optional Aqua View Finder, available in straight and 45 degrees version, are among the best of the industry, they can easily be installed in a matter of a few minutes by the user. The enlarged and enhanced image provided by the Aqua View Finder is second to none in clarity, It provides the photographer with tack sharp corner to corner viewing of the camera view finder for composing and critical focusing
For ultimate image quality you can choose the Aquatica A5D Mk III with the 9.25” Megadome, state-of-the-art BK-7 coated glass dome, it is attached to the unique Aquatica extension ring with manual focus capability. This extension is available for both the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Type II and the EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, two serious candidates for the video shooter and for which manual focus access is vital, manual focusing with prime lens focusing can be done using the controls knob on the upper left side of the housing.
The A5D Mk II is supported by one of the most established and comprehensive port and accessories system of the industry. The Canon 5D Mk II is destined, much like its successor, the 5D Mk III, for a life of multi tasking role. This previous A5D Mk II is still being used by many of the major television underwater documentary production; it has been embraced by scores of top image makers in the world whose work can be seen weekly on network television, advertising work and movie productions.
Strobe Connections and Housing Configurations
Aquatica has the most comprehensive selection of easily interchangeable strobe connectors in the industry. The A5D Mk II may be purchased factory fitted with one of the following strobe connection configurations. Even afterwards, it is possible to change the configuration by purchasing required connection items. Bulkheads are replaceable in the field (or by Cerella Oy) without the need for specialized tools. All configurations support manual flash. TTL functionality requires TTL compatible strobes and might require an external TTL converter.
The 20062-NK configuration of the A5D Mk II housing has two of the classic 5 pins Nikonos connectors. It is possible to connect one or two popular strobes having Nikonos type sync cords and/or a third-party TTL converter with Nikonos type cord on camera end. By default, all Aquatica housings are delivered in this configuration unless otherwise specified.
The 20062-KT configuration of the A5D Mk II housing is supplied with one time-proven 5 pins TTL type Ikelite connector. This connector can only be used with the Ikelite #4301 TTL converter. Up to two Ikelite strobes can be connected using an appropriate dual sync cord. TTL functionality is available by using the Ikelite #4301 TTL converter and a dual sync cord.
Comprehensive selection of Dome Ports and Macro Ports
The Aquatica Lens Chart for Canon EOS 5D Mark and EOS 5D Mark II summarizes the most common combinations of various ports, lenses, extension rings and focus/zoom gear.
“I have taken my Aquatica housings to a depth of 135 meters using mixed gas Close Circuit Rebreather and in water temperature as low as 2C. Even when using three fingers dry suit mitts and carrying all this technical dive gear on you, all the controls are fully accessible and smooth working. Diving regularly in such harsh environment is the reason I elected using Aquatica.”
Janne Suhonen, Photographer
“My Aquatica 5D Mark II housing has not only shot my favorite video, it has more dives than most divers. It’s travelled the world with me, has been passed to others as a demo unit, strapped onto underwater scooters, and has even survived rental abuse at Backscatter. It still looks and functions so well, we use it as a display model at trade shows. Its construction and black crinkle paint seem impervious to the bumps, scrapes, and corrosive abuse of daily use.”
“My Aquatica 5D Mk II housing has stood up to some rough treatment on transit to dive sites – being bumped down into caves on ropes and covered with limestone dust. Throughout all of this, the camera inside has stayed safe, dry and functional. There’s no point in spending the money on equipment if you’re too afraid to take it with you – my confidence in the Aquatica housing means I’ve been able to take advantage of great photographic opportunities in some inhospitable places.”
“I consider Aquatica’s products the very definition of value. Neither the most nor least expensive available, their gear offers the underwater photographer the ergonomics and reliability he/she requires—at a price that is reasonable and fair. Their products are dependable enough for pros, but at prices within the reach of serious amateurs as well.”
- Bayonet Port: Positive bayonet mounting and locking mechanism leaves no doubt that your ports are secure in place and water tight. The bayonet system dome, macro ports and extension rings, offers the fastest access to lenses for rapid changing without having to remove the camera from the housing. This housing allows use of lenses from a 15mm fisheye lens to a 180mm macro lens. Tele-converter port extensions are also available.
- Menus buttons have been angled 20 degrees and extended when needed for better ergonomic, knob are now grooved and knurled for optimum operation when wearing thick gloves
- Built in hydrophone
- Fingertip access to all camera menu and video controls includes On-Off, Live View mode, Record On/Off, Exposure Mode, bracketing, Meter positioning and focus control, AF-ON activation and Star button access as well as AF preferences. Access to all menu features include review, enlarge and delete, histogram and internal SLR preferences.
- Lens release lever for easy lens changing through the front port with camera installed.
- Compatible with our remote control grip.
- Two additional bulkhead holes are supplied for potential access to other camera functions
- The most critical aspect of underwater SLR photography is the viewing system. The Aquatica 5D Mk II uses a viewfinder that shows the biggest and the brightest image possible in full frame viewing to your eye. An accessory Aqua View Finder is also available giving the user unparallel viewing of the camera’s viewfinder for sharp focusing and exact composition.
- Depth rating: 90 meters
- Precision machined from a single aluminum block. This light weight housing is fully anodized to military specifications and coated with robust wear resistant coating. All function labels are pad printing so they will not peel off or fade.
- Accurately balanced ergonomic design – all controls including the video activating controls are within easy reach.
- Excellent underwater balance.
- Replaceable sacrificial anodes protect the housing from electrolysis.
- Weight: 2.9 Kg
- Dimensions with grips attached: Width 35cm x Height 19.5cm x Depth 14.5cm
- Dimensions without grips: Width 23cm x Height 19.5cm x Depth 14.5cm
INCLUDED IN THE BOX:
- Grips, (left and right hand)
- Hexagonal head bolts (quant.:2)
- Hexagonal (Allen) key
- Owner manual
- Spare main O-ring
- Container of O-ring lubricant
The recommended servicing procedures of the products are outlined in the manuals supplied with the product. The outside of the housings and the accessories should be rinsed in fresh water after every dive. The handles should be removed after use otherwise if they remain attached to the housing for any length of time they may bind to the housing and be extremely difficult to remove. We suggest that the main O rings be lubricated regularly and all of the O rings be checked annually.